Monday, January 14, 2008

10159

i'm not a big new year's resolution person. i think this is mainly due to the word "resolution." i did a little wikipedia work on the word. on the one hand i understand why this term is used (def 1 & 2: the state of being resolute...a vow, or statement of intent). this is all well and good, but it also sounds too definite...like it's already happened, and now i don't have to do any work because everything has been decided (def 6: a formal statement adopted by an assembly).

i like definition 9 the best: a progression from dissonance to consonance. first of all, this is a music term, which i resonate with (ah, another good musical term). second, it points out that resolution is a process/progression. third, we make new years resolutions because there is something missing or out a whack in our lives (dissonance), and we hope that by implementing our plan/process (resolution), that we find some harmony/integration (consonance). i like that.

here are my resolutions or 2008:
1) finish my time in durango well
2) acquire wisdom on being a good husband
3) find a job in boston
4) ...this is the real point of this post...read several good biographies/autobiographies. on the list so far: martin luther king jr, einstein, pete maravich. i need more! please give me suggestions on good biographies to read. (also, if you have any leads on resolutions 1-3, i'd love to hear those as well!)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! Book recommendations! Definitely Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood and Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return. My favorite biographies ever. They chronicle the life of Marjane Satrapi, a woman who grew up during the Islamic Revolution in France and ended up fleeing. They were the first graphic novels I read and I fell in love with the genre. Marketed towards teens, but definitely for adults as well.

NickW said...

Since I'm a history nerd and I hear you like things of that nature as well, Truman is a brilliant biography of a great President. 950 some pages though, so buckle down before you read it.

Anonymous said...

I meant Islamic Revolution in Iran. Was thinking France because the book was originally published in French.

Derrico Family said...

Steve - unfortunately, my autobiography will not be finished this year, but I'll send you a copy when it is ready in the future. I'm sure it will be fascinating reading...

On the husband note, I'd suggest asking men you trust about what they have recently or are now working on to be better husbands. And, you might ask their wives what their husbands have done well. That way you get a little perspective from both sides.

And finally, dude, when is your wedding? I want to calendar it so we can plan a big trip to Salinas. :-)

We are very happy for you and are looking forward to seeing you both in June.

Stay warm!

Cindy D.

boutry said...

lisa...thanks for the clarification...i also am a bit of a history nerd and i was having a hard time remembering the islamic revolution in france =)

Momma S said...

well, i was going to leave a smart alec (sp?) response, but instead i thought i would just say hi and give you some husband advice. what? kind of what cindy said - pick a few men you really want to be like and take them to lunch. john has a saying, "take someone rich to lunch". maybe they pay, too.

Anonymous said...

fyi john: the saying is actually, "poor people should take rich people to lunch." there's the smart alec for you :)

Anonymous said...

I would definitely recommend the book I'm reading right now; "The Africa House." It's about a British colonialist in Northern Rhodesia and his unique dreams for the country. It's very well done. Gore-Browne (the man it's about) was a meticulous record keeper and wrote tons of journals and letters. The author made great use of them, and uses much of his own writings in the book.

As far as the husband thing goes, I think you've already gotten some good advice there. The best thing I can say is listen. If you can take the time and make the effort to really listen to your wife, what she's saying and what she needs and wants.. the rest usually follows. I think it's pretty much that way in any relationship.. listening is key.

steps said...

I check your blog out, too!

I loved the autobiography of Benjamin Franklin. I have to admit I listened to it on CD or tape.

Pray for your wife. Let her hear you praying for her. That's my best advice!

Liz Step :)