Monday, September 03, 2007

07659

on saturday i dropped amy off at the airport...not fun. on the way home i buried myself deeply into a world of self-pity and melancholy. about an hour outside of durango i got a call from james asking me to pick him (and some of his stuff) up at a local gas station. james is heading out to oklahoma this week to see his family.

i thought this would be a simple procedure...pick james up, drop him off, go home, crawl into bed and continue to wallow in my self-pity while listening to some sad songs on my ipod. i was terribly wrong. before i had time to really process on what was going on i found myself on a cliff in Horse Gulch, in my flip flops, helping james mule his belongings off the mountain.

there i was, dirty and sweaty, less than four hours removed from saying goodbye to amy, loaded down with stuff (james was carrying a five gallon bucket of bean soup on his back about which he made the following comment: "i gotta enough soup to be able to eat all winter and tell everyone else to go to hell")...thinking to myself: how absurd and wierd life can be at times.

i seem to be having these experiences a lot lately: moments where i get pulled out of myself and reminded that there is more to life than the little worlds i can create in my own mind.

sometimes it takes a bucket of beans to get me there.

1 comment:

Chip Johnson said...

Maybe he actually said, "I'll eat beans all winter and blow the world to hell".

Just a thought.