Tuesday, January 09, 2007

03759

"if CTK-Durango is an experiment in anything, it's an experiement in the power of relationships." i think this is true of CTK in general, but it's especially true of our community here...or at least that's the goal.

sometimes i feel like this is a new thing, that i am learning all this for the first time...and that may be true in practice, but defintely not in theory. in so many ways what i am doing, in helping to lead this community in durango in the way we are going, is a natural progession of everything that has come before.

most recently, my thinking in the relational dynamic of what God is up to in the world has been pushed by eugene peterson's book, "Eat this Book: A Conversation in the Art of Spiritual Reading."

chip and i have been talking about this relational dynamic for a while...but again, for me this is the culmination of things that began some time ago, most likely in college through intervarsity and learning about the importance of community, through being mentored by the likes of jay d, through ron demolor's (mount hermon) mantra "the kingdom of God is a kingdom of right relationships," through prof. korch at western, through the philosopher john macmurray (see: the self as agent and persons in relation), through donald miller's relentless pursuit of the relational dynamic of the gospel (see: Searching for God Knows What), through conversations and doing life with rmac, through dave browning (lead pastor of the CTK network), through studying John with the nexus, and now live and in technicolor here in durango. it is no surprise that i am here in terms of my theology, hermeneutics, and praxis. and i love it.

here's what eugene is speaking to me about this (he's talking about how we read and interpret Scripture): "here's the thing: every part of the revelation, every aspect, every form is personal--God is relational at the core--and so whatever is said, whatever is revealed, whatever is recieved is also personal and relational. there is nothing impersonal, nothing merely functional, everything from beginning to end and in between is personal. God is inherently and inclusively personal. the corollary to that is that i, because i am a person, am personally involved in the revelation. every word i hear, everything i see in my imagination as this story unfolds, involves me relationally, pulls me into participation, matters to my core identity, affects who i am and what i do."

thanks eugene...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have figured out that community demands such sacrifice: here I am—warts and all. The more we expose (hasn't that become such a strange word in our culture. . . .let's start again). The more we expose the reality of our condition, the deepest scars, the ugliest warts, to our community—our friends—the deeper we find relationship—richer and relevant.

I have not attended a church in 4 months. I've been a Christian 15 years and this is the longest I've ever avoided darkening the doorstep.

I am going back on Sunday (sigh), but to be a stranger in a place where community is so highly desired. . . . . . the silence is deafening.

boutry said...

just move to durango and quit prolonging the inevitable =)

Anonymous said...

Let me get my financials all squared up. Plus a job at your college would be great. Get on that. Thanks.

How about that iPhone? (I know you don't care about it, Steve. . . .but you could totally track your Fantasy Baseball on it . . . ALL THE TIME...)

Anonymous said...

it's pretty interesting--about the Bible--that when I read it I'm either bored out of my mind or totally fascinated. there's not really a neutral. strange. this probably doesn't mean very much. it just popped into my head when I was thinking about e.p.'s book and how relational God is. isn't it weird that we can forget that? sometimes I read it like an atheist or something and I'm surprised when I find he's talking to ME.

Momma S said...

RMAC - if I may so boldly enter into this intimate conversation - perhaps it is inevitable for you to go Durango - but please don't run away. Christ wants to redeem his Bride back to himself and he may need you right where you are. if i have intruded rudely, please forgive me.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I read you, Sarah. NP. Steve and I have always talked about us living in Durango having a kind Of Mice and Men house.

This plan has been in the works some time, but I'm in NO RUSH. Usually I need a kick in the butt to move.

Awaiting the kick,

rmac

Anonymous said...

Oh and only Macs are allowed in Steve and I's Man-Mansion.