Sunday, March 01, 2009

17059

at some point early in my sophomore year of college someone gave me a cd (probably kevin) by this band called jimmy eat world.  i had never heard of them at the time.  the album was called clarity.  it quickly became one of my favorites and served as a soundtrack for some of the momentous occasions of my life over the next couple of years.  clarity both defined the "emo" sound of the late nineties/early 2000's and was, in my opinion, a cut above other efforts by bands such as the get up kids, juliana theory, and the promise ring

that was in 1999.

it's now 2009 and the band decided to do a 10 city/10 show tour where they honored the 10 year anniversary of the album by playing the whole thing live.  great idea, right?  right!

except it's made me feel old.  a ten year anniversary tour for a band and an album that i fell in love with in college!!! yikes.

the worst part was that there were modern day college students at the show.  which means most of them were, oh, ten or eleven at the time the album came out.  sheesh.

so, all that to say, it's been a week of contemplation and reflection on the last ten years.  i'd like to think i've come a long way from all the angst over girls, what i'm going to do with my life, who am i going to be, etc, that defined me in 1999.  i think i might actually be growing up a little bit.

No comments: