Tuesday, March 04, 2008

11359

political thoughts...

today is a big day in the democratic primaries (obviously), plus i've been reading Jesus for President (which i won't comment on, except to say that whether you read the book or not, pick up a copy and look through the pages...the design is unbelievable...it makes a Rob Bell book look boring in comparison), so in that spirit i offer my thoughts:

i actually don't have too many sophisticated political thoughts at this point. just a sense of angst (which is true of many other aspects of my life these days, so why should politics be any different?).

anyway, i've been a fan of Barak Obama since his speech at the '04 democratic convention. my reaction was, who is this guy and why isn't he running for president? a few months later i received his memoir, Dreams From My Father, for Christmas and i really enjoyed reading it. last year i read his other book, The Audacity of Hope, and i enjoyed that as well. i love his background, what he represents, that he spent time in south Chicago working in neighborhoods familiar to me, and, i admit, when the guy speaks i get chills...he's an incredible communicator.

however, i feel conflicted about his campaign. part of it is stupid and selfish. three years ago he was still under the radar and it was like discovering this cool band that few other people knew about and every now and then i'd run across someone who knew about Obama and there was this knowing, insider look we'd exchange. now everyone has an opinion about Obama, and i feel the same way i feel when that cool little band all of a sudden gets huge and everyone knows them and has their opinion about them (and your parents are going to their concerts...sorry mom and dad, couldn't help it!). so, that's my dumb reason for feeling conflicted. on to the more important reasons...

...here's the tension i feel:

1) i hope Obama wins and is the next president of the United States. i've voted in two presidential elections and both times it felt like i was choosing the lesser of two evils. this is the first time in my voting life that i actually like a presidential candidate for who he is and what he stands for, not because he seems slightly less worse than other guy (i apologize for my male-centric pronouns). but...

2) i also hope Obama loses and does not become the next president of the United States. i am extremely wary of power, especially political power: the ways that it changes people and what it does to a person's soul. i also fear becoming more disillusioned with the political system by watching someone i admire compromise and play the inevitable political games that one has to play.

so here is what i hope actually happens...Obama wins the democratic nomination, but loses the presidential campaign. he then decides to go back to the grassroots level and community organizing, using his new found clought and profile to stand up again for people who desperately need advocates, all the while speaking prophetically into our political system. probably not going to happen (my audacious hope), but that's what i would really like to see...

...comment starter: are you hopeful or wary as far the '08 presidential race is concerned?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dangit, every time you mention a book you give such a good tease about it that I have to go buy it. Quit making me spend money.

I agree with you about the Obama thing in that I can't decide if I'd rather him win or lose. I think he is the most sincere candidate that I have seen since we've been of age to vote. But like you, it's scary to think about that kind of sincerity being changed by power and limited by government burocracy.

Anonymous said...

I so want Obama to win and lose and win and Hillary to win and lose and win if she has to. And everyone else to just lose, lose, lose. I think the losers are winning.

boutry said...

oh jenn, you crazy, liberal teacher =)

no child left behind, woohoo!

boutry said...

also, i'm subbing for you (jenn) tomorrow, so that's pretty cool.

Momma S said...

i am considering becoming a missionary overseas if hillary wins.

i also share your secret desire to see obama win and lose. mostly i hope he wins though, just because i am not sure i want to be a missionary.

boutry said...

i think chip might join you on the mission field after his experience this monring. =)

NickW said...

I'm very excited about this election, mostly because it's the first time I've ever voted.

I'm a big Obama fan, I read Audacity of Hope when it first came out and I really enjoyed it and really got excited at his chances for the Presidency. I don't agree with everything he says, or most of his positions really, but the hope he brings is a big deal to me.

Honestly I hope he wins the whole thing, I do think that power corrupts, but for some reason seeing Obama in the White House could be a catalyst for some political change in this country...or not but I'm hopeful.

Chip Johnson said...

We talked about this the other day, but for the sake of the conversation...

...I think power either corrupts or it breaks you down. I hope Obama wins and is broken down by the futility of trying to effect change in the presidential context. Then he will be free and humble enough to do great things after being president--like Carter has.

Anonymous said...

so, sarah, i never thought i'd say this...but i'm almost hoping hillary wins.